Monday, June 16, 2008

Senior developer?

It is a strange feeling to be getting to that point where you are not only a Software Developer, but also a Software designer, Tech Lead and overall resource on how to develop certain things.

During my experience on the DISA project I have taken time to study certain areas in depth, such as Web Services, the WSDL spec, XML spec, xpath, etc. I do not consider myself an expert, but now I understand how this whole thing works and how to develop sound code for Web Services integration with our project, hibernate, etc.

Now, as I move on to other ventures, other people are designing more integrartions and they come to me to ask for help. This makes me feel not only good that I took the time to learn, but good that people ask me about it.

Communication skills, patience, and willingness to help others are just a few things that make a developer a senior. But I should also note that teaching how to be self sufficient is an even better lesson to learn, and one that has cost me a lot of time an effort to learn.

No comments: